Gmail is one of the most popular email services, offering an intuitive interface, plenty of storage space, and a range of valuable features. While the web version of Gmail is easy to use, many people prefer to use a desktop email client like Microsoft Outlook to manage their email. You are in the right place If you are also looking up, how to configure with a Gmail account using outlook IMAP settings
Before starting off with all the technical details of IMAP, it is important to know what IMAP is.
What is IMAP?
IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol. It is an email protocol for downloading and viewing email messages from an email server. With IMAP, you can access your email from any device, including smartphones, tablets, desktops, and laptops. For example, if you read an email on your smartphone, it will also be marked as read on your laptop. In fact, the email client is always connected to the server, allowing you to access your emails in real-time.
IMAP syncs all your email across all devices and ensures that any changes you make to your email are reflected across all your devices.
Outlook IMAP Settings for Gmail
Now that you know what IMAP is and how it works, let’s take a closer look at Outlook IMAP settings for Gmail.
Step 1 (Enable the IMAP)
To use IMAP to access your Gmail account, you must first enable the feature in your Gmail settings. That’s how it goes:
- Sign in to your Gmail account.
- Click on “Settings”.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Tap on the Save Changes button.
Step 2 (Gmail account to Outlook)
Once IMAP is enabled in your Gmail account, you can add your Gmail account to Outlook by following the steps below:
- Open Outlook on your device.
- Click “File”.
- Select “Add Account” from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your Gmail email address and click Sign In.
Enter your Gmail account password and click Sign In again.
Step 3 (Outlook IMAP settings for Gmail)
After adding your Gmail account to Outlook, you need to configure your IMAP settings to ensure you can send and receive emails. Here are the following steps:
- Click on “File”.
- Select “Account Settings”.
- On the Email tab, select your Gmail account and click Edit.
- In the Switch Account window, click the More Settings button.
- In the Internet Mail Settings window, click the Outgoing Server tab.
- Choose the “Use the same settings as mail server” option.
- Click the Advanced tab.
On the Advanced tab, ensure that the following settings are configured:
- incoming mail server (IMAP): 993
- Use the following encrypted connection type: SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 587
- Use the next encrypted connection type: TLS
- Click OK to save the settings.
In the Switch Account window, click the Next button to test the settings.
If the test is successful, click Close to complete the setup.
To summarize the steps mentioned above, you can easily set up your Gmail account in Outlook using IMAP. I hope the mentioned steps for Setting up the Outlook IMAP settings with Gmail were informative for you.