What are roasted grams?
Roasted grams, also known as bhujia, are a popular snack food enjoyed in many parts of India. These crunchy and flavorful treats are made by roasting whole chickpeas over an open flame until they are crispy and golden brown. It is not uncommon to see them being sold in local markets or roadside stalls in India, given their immense popularity.
Roasted grams can be enjoyed on their own as a simple snack or used as an ingredient in many dishes like chaat, churmuri, and other similar snacks. They can also be used to top off salads, curries, and even desserts for added flavor and crunch. They come in various sizes ranging from small pieces to large chunks depending on the brand.
The ingredients used to make roasted grams include chickpeas, oil for frying, spices such as cumin powder and red chili pepper powder, sugar for added sweetness and salt for seasoning. The chickpeas are first soaked overnight in water and then allowed to dry before being fried in hot oil until they become crisp. After frying, the roasted gram mixture is stirred together with spices such as cumin powder and red chili pepper powder to give it its signature flavor. Finally sugar is added for sweetness and salt is sprinkled over it before it is ready to be served.
How to roast grams
Roasting is one of the most common methods used to prepare roasted grams. It’s an incredibly easy way to make your food more flavorful without much effort. Roasting also helps intensify the natural flavors of the grains and makes them easier to digest. Here’s how you can roast your own roasted grams:
1. Start by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Spread the grams out on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle olive oil over them. Gently mix together using a spoon or spatula until they are lightly coated with oil.
3. Roast in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking.
4. When the grains are golden brown and fragrant, remove them from the oven and let cool before serving or storing in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
There you have it – roasted grams that are perfectly flavorful and packed with nutrition.
10 benefits of roasted grams
Roasted grams are a popular health food due to their many nutritional benefits. They are an excellent source of protein, dietary fibre, B vitamins and minerals. Here are 10 benefits of roasted grams that you should know about:
1. Loaded with Protein: Roasted grams are an excellent plant-based source of protein. A one-cup serving provides 10g of protein which is essential for growth, repair and maintenance of the body.
2. High in Fibre: Roasted grams contain 10g of dietary fibre per cup which helps keep your digestive system healthy and aids in weight loss efforts by keeping you feeling fuller for longer periods of time.
3. Boost Heart Health: Studies have found that consuming a diet rich in roasted grams can help reduce levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, which are two major risk factors for heart disease.
4. Rich in Antioxidants: Roasted grams contain antioxidants such as polyphenols and flavonoids which help protect your cells from oxidative damage.
5. Regulate Blood Sugar Levels: Because roasted grams are a low-glycemic food, the slow release of energy helps to regulate blood sugar levels and prevent spikes in glucose levels.
6. Improve Gut Health: The resistant starch found in roasted grams can feed the beneficial bacteria in your gut and promote a healthy digestive system.
7. High in Vitamin B Complex: Roasted grams are an excellent source of B vitamins, which are essential for metabolism, energy production and nervous system health.
8. Source of Essential Minerals: Roasted grams provide a good source of minerals such as iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium and zinc which are important for overall health.
9. Gluten-free: Roasted grams contain no gluten making them an ideal food choice for people with celiac disease or those avoiding wheat products due to allergies or intolerances.
10. Versatile Ingredient: Roasted grams can be used in a variety of dishes from snacks to soups and curries. They can be ground into flour, added to smoothies or made into porridge for breakfast.
All these benefits make roasted grams an excellent addition to any diet.